Do you spend a lot of time shopping online? If your answer is yes, you might have noticed that all product pages in an online store have content next to them telling the products features, benefits and describes you on the best ways of using them. Chances are this was written by a copywriter. These bits of content are known as product descriptions.
Compared to things like blogs, website content and other forms of long content, product descriptions seem minuscule and unimportant but they pack a punch. If you own an online store, product descriptions provide the most important information about your product and act like little salespeople. When you shop at a brick-and-mortar store, you have real people who can chat and describe the features of the product. In an online store, its all about these little pieces of text.
Great product descriptions tick all the boxes by answering all the common questions about the product. This helps the customer make an informed decision about purchasing it. Sure, most online stores have photos of the product but photos alone won’t suffice.
Product descriptions can answer questions like how to best the product, how to care for it when it was manufactured and provide warranty information. If the description answers all the questions, customers won’t have to call or email you. If they are happy with the product, they will also be more likely to purchase it.
So, how to write kickass product descriptions?
Follow these steps to write great descriptions:
- Identify your target audience: Start by identifying your target audience. This will help to craft your descriptions clearly and concisely. If you are writing descriptions for baby books, you should write in a way that engages parents as opposed to young couples.
- Get all the basic information: The more information you can add to your descriptions, the better chance there is of the customer buying that product. If you are writing product description for a food item, including the ingredients, dietary concerns, manufacture and expiry date and how to use it.
- Think about FAQs: Think about the most commonly asked questions and try to answer those in your product descriptions. Make a list of these questions and include the answers in your writing. This makes life a lot easier for your customers.
- How will you lay it out? Customers don’t want to spend a lot of time reading through bulky chunks of text so its important that you lay out your information in a concise and easy manner. Introduce your product with some basic sentences and then include bullet points to break it up whilst not missing out vital information.
- Keep your language simple: You might be tempted to be all fancy with the writing but keeping things simple always works. Utilise the brand’s voice and pass the intended message across. Whether the tone is fun and flirty or more professional, make sure you use it appropriately to engage with your customers.
- Keep SEO in mind: SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation. So, ensure you play it smart by including a few strategically placed keywords which will help the search engines find your products quickly.
- Spin up a great description (or two): Now that you are aware of all the essential requirements of writing a product description, its time to get cracking. Take time to understand the product, the brand and then set things out in a logical manner that flows.