Planning on starting your own business? Got all the groundwork done and now want to promote your brand to the world? Great. But how do you go about doing that? Many small business owners make the mistake of starting marketing and promotions without having a solid marketing strategy in place. So, what is a content marketing strategy?
According to the Content marketing institute, Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach which focusses on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain your target audience — and, eventually, to encourage profitable customer action.
When you have a strong strategy in place, you will have a direction to move in. You’ll know who your target audience is and how to go about getting their attention.
Content strategies differ according to the business or product you have to offer but a general pattern they all follow include the following key components.
- Why you create content? This is a really important part of your business strategy. You cannot just create content for the sake of it. You have to carefully think about what you plan to do, the risks involved and what your idea of success is.
- The goals you hope to achieve: Each business is unique in the way they provide a service or product so it’s crucial you understand this and think about what’s different about your business and what you hope to achieve through your promotions.
- Understanding your audience: Identifying and pinpointing your target audience can go a long way in helping you achieve success. When you know your target market, you can carefully create content to help them make profitable decisions.
- Your brand’s story: Think about how you differ from your competition and in what ways you are unique.
- KPI’s: Key performance indicators that measure how successful your strategy is. This could be things like website traffic, client engagement and search queries.
How to create a solid marketing strategy for your business?
- Do your homework: This section is crucial as this is where you’ll identify things like key audience, what your competition is doing, what the industry trends are and how to utilise the best social media platforms to target and engage with your audience.
- Set achievable goals: Goals help you to work accordingly without losing focus. A specific list of goals like key objectives, deadlines by when they should be completed and how much money you would need to accomplish each one.
- Create a draft: After you have a firm idea of what you want, its time to draft out your content in different stages. As your business grows, you might need to manage different aspects so you might need to hand down this responsibility to someone else. Have an overall plan but leave some room in your plan in case you need to make some last-minute changes.
By carefully planning and thinking about what you want to achieve with your business, identifying your target audience and your budget for the marketing, you can create a solid marketing plan that will ensure your business is a success.